Birds of a Different Feather

Rockhurst offers a lot to its students and community, but what truly sets it apart?

Jackson Sifers, Staff Reporter

Rockhurst High School is well known for its ability to educate students as “men for others”. As a Jesuit school known for creating a lifelong brotherhood between students, Rockhurst has been forming boys into men since it was founded in 1910. But, aside from its all-boys status, what is it that makes Rockhurst different from other schools in the area?

When asked how Rockhurst can compare to what other schools can offer Director of Admissions and 2003 graduate Mike Comiskey said, “I think it’s our scope, you know. Twenty-one AP classes, our dual credit, college credits, courses with UMKC and Rock U… There’s just so much that guys can get involved in.”

Rockhurst provides various activities, like more than 50 co-curricular clubs and 11 varsity sports, for students to grow a comfort zone on campus as well as a social life outside school. Students who transfer into Rockhurst from other schools say those experiences have made a difference in their lives.

“Well, I’d say the community is definitely a lot more engaging. It’s a lot more fun, especially like some of the football games and just events and stuff like that,” said junior Phillip Nunnink, who transferred from Kansas City Christian School.

Rockhurst intentionally  brings its community together to help form close bonds for every student. It’s all part of an effort to better prepare them for life after graduation.

“Simple stuff like time management–to preparation for college–to big stuff like long life relationships–to finding something new that a student never knew they were interested in,” said Comiskey.

All of these things can differentiate a Rockhurst student from one at another area school.

Although challenging, Rockhurst also adapts its students to become academically better.

“Well, I’d say academically it’s pretty challenging, you know, challenging in a good way in that I feel like I’m advancing my education,” Nunnink said.

Rockhurst is one of 80 Jesuit schools in America and thrives off of Jesuit education. The tradition of Jesuit education and the school’s long history are other benefits of Rockhurst is tradition. There is a long history behind Rockhurst that is concrete to what keeps the school strong. There are many alumni teachers, students of alumni, and students who are relatives of alumni who attend. Rockhurst is known for its ability to be “men for others”, a phrase coined by Father Pedro Arrupe, who served as Superior General of the Society of Jesus from the mid-60s to the 80s. Trying to become better people as well as doing selfless acts for others is a prime example of being a man for others.

“I feel like I’m actually making a difference in the world doing something like this instead of doing a desk job or working in a lab,” chemistry teacher and Rockhurst alumnus Patrick Doyle said. “I mean those people are definitely contributing, but it doesn’t give me the fulfillment that teaching here does.”

As an alum, Doyle can also speak to how Jesuit education brings others together and produces good men.

“When I went off to college, my floor freshman year at St. Louis U had 20 guys that were graduates of a Jesuit high school, and their high school experiences and mine were very similar. It almost felt like I was going to college with a bunch of my Rockhurst buddies.”

Rockhurst aims for not only a good relationship with students, but also a good relationship between students and teachers. There are teachers always willing to help students struggling in a class outside of the classroom. Not only are teachers helping students, but they also treat students with respect. Rockhurst teaches many good lessons of respect to the students. Jesuit education as a whole is praised for its ability to form respectful young men. Teachers new to the school this year have noticed.

“I think the expectations here are higher and that the young men are more polite and strive to do their best,” said English teacher Chris Hopper when asked what’s different about Rockhurst.

Rockhurst benefits students on campus as well as off of campus. Rockhurst on campus forms a good study mindset for its students and helps students with any academic issues. Outside of the classroom, Rockhurst brings students together with events and the bonds that they form together.

“I’d say that Rockhurst definitely helps me grow a lot closer with my friends, especially now going to school with them,” said Nunnink, the transfer student.

Rockhurst gives skills to students to help them become not just better students and people, but “men for others”.