Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Hawklets Pull Away from Saints in Second Half

Sophomore Kevin Sullivan puts up the wide open 3-pointer during the game against St. Thomas Aquinas on Feb. 2, 2024. Sullivan had a team-high 11 points–including two 3-pointers–in the Hawklets’ 52-38 win over the Saints.

The Rockhurst varsity basketball team shook off a sluggish start and pulled away from rival St. Thomas Aquinas in the second half to claim the 52-38 win on Feb. 2, 2024. Sophomore Kevin Sullivan led the offense in scoring with 11 points.

Heading into the game, Rockhurst held a 13-6 record, while riding a five-game winning streak. Aquinas was 10-3, which was a top ten record in Kansas Class 4, and amidst a six-game winning streak.

The first quarter started off slow for both teams. Aquinas scored the first two points which was quickly followed up by a 3-pointer by Sullivan. However, after the first two buckets, both teams combined for seven straight turnovers. This streak was ended by a put-back dunk from Aquinas. Sullivan once again responded with a three ball of his own. The first quarter ended with a score of 13-10 Aquinas.

In the second quarter, Rockhurst’s offense started hitting on all cylinders. The period started with a difficult transition layup by sophomore Cohen Robinson, followed by a corner three from another sophomore, Max Moylan. Then, junior George Effertz scored on back-to-back possessions, with a 3-pointer and a reverse layup, assisted by Robinson.

“The first quarter, we were just being reckless with the ball. We just had to start taking better care of the ball and take the open shot,” said Sullivan.

The score at the end of the first half was 24-18 Rockhurst.

The second half continued to go Rockhurst’s way. The Hawklets’ defense showed out during the third quarter, only allowing six points. However, their offense did not slow down, as senior Braden Lamley connected on consecutive 3-pointers. Rockhurst’s hot streak continued with Moylan’s second 3-pointer of the day, and Effertz scored on a transition layup after another forced turnover.

Heading into the fourth quarter, Rockhurst was up 40-24.

“We knew that we weren’t just going to run away with the game, and we needed to stay on course, and we slowly started to pull away,” said Robinson.

Throughout the fourth quarter, Rockhurst controlled the ball to try to put the game away. Aquinas went on a short run that gave them some life, but senior Brady Maher iced the game when he knocked down two free throws.

The final score was 52-38.

Rockhurst players contributed all across the board. Along with Sullivan’s 11, Lamley put up ten and Moylan had nine.

Before Friday, Aquinas had scored, on average, 58 points per game. Rockhurst held them to their season low, which was twenty points lower than their average.

“I think they hadn’t seen a team play defense with as much intensity and swagger as we do. But that comes to the coaches for instilling that mindset that if you don’t defend you’re not going to play,” said Robinson. “Game after game we continue to prove that we’re the best defensive team around.”

Rockhurst looks to extend their six game winning streak this Saturday against Creighton Prep, then will hit the road for another rivalry game, this one at Bishop Miege.