Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Mother-Son Dinner Dance Makes Memories for All Involved

The sophomore class and their mothers enjoy a slow dance.

Anyone who has ever been to a dance before knows the most stressful part is getting a date. This factor went out the window the first Sunday in February where Rockhurst students had the opportunity to go to a dance without even asking a date.

On Feb. 4, mothers and sons of the Rockhurst community came together for the annual Mother-Son Dinner Dance. The dance, as it has in many years prior, took place at the Union Station Grand Plaza. The student body dressed sharp for the occasion, with seniors arriving in tuxedos, and juniors, sophomores and freshmen coming in a variety of suits, blazers, and slacks.

With check-in starting at 5:30, attendees were able to mingle with each other before any real festivities began. About an hour after check-in, President David Laughlin and Principal Father Vincent Giacabazi  took the stage and welcomed everyone to the event. Part of their welcome speeches were instructions to the students to give their mothers this year’s ribbons.

A staple of the Mother-Son Dinner Dance is the ribbons. Every year, ribbons with small pins on them are left on the tables. These pins are different every year, featuring images including the Rockhurst crest, the letters “RHS,” and the hawklet, which was featured this year.  At the dance, Laughlin instructed the students to pin the ribbons to their mothers and tell them they love them.

Following the opening statements, mothers and sons began the dinner portion of the dance. Starting with a Caesar salad, followed by the main course of a chicken breast, mashed potatoes and green beans, and finally either a flourless chocolate cake or a lemon pudding cake for dessert.  

“My favorite part of the dance was for sure the food,” said junior Brody Finnigan. “The chicken was really good, and I got to steal my brother’s dessert, which was solid.”

Almost all mothers and sons were able to reserve a table to be with friends. Tables sat up to ten people. The freshmen mothers and sons, however, were assigned to tables. This was done in the hopes to build community among the class of 2027.

After everyone had time to eat, senior class president Colin Komenda took the stage. Komenda had the job of thanking all of the mothers in the RHS community, and, more directly, his own mother.

Once Komenda finished his speech, the dancing began. Kicking off the dancing, seniors sang “Stand By Me” to their mothers, and presented them with a rose. After receiving the roses, the mothers had the opportunities to dance with their sons. 

After the seniors had their opportunity to dance with their mothers, all the other grade levels got their chances. Starting with the freshmen, then the sophomores, and finally the juniors, each grade went up to the dance floor and danced to two songs with their mothers. Each grade danced to one “slow” song and one “fast” song. After each grade went up for their dances, the dance floor was opened to all, and many mothers and sons returned to the dance floor to enjoy the night.

All throughout the night, mothers and sons had the opportunity to take pictures. In each of the corners of the event space, photo booths were set up. At the booths, groups could take pictures that would be immediately sent to them via text or email, giving them keepsakes to remember the night. Different signs and props were also available at the booths to give pictures a fun twist. On top of the photo booths, there was a professional photographer available most of the night.

“I think my favorite part of the dance was taking pictures,” said junior Justin Waldron. “I got some really good ones with my friends and with my mom.”

For some mothers and sons the night didn’t end at the dance. Seniors and their mothers kept the fun going at Ward Parkway Lanes after the dance was over. This traditional after-party was the perfect way to cap off the seniors’ last mother-son dance.

“Honestly, I never really enjoyed the dances too much, but this year was a lot of fun,” said senior Hudson Tsevis. “I’m gonna miss having a night with just me and my mom. She always enjoyed them a lot.”