Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Prep News Brings Home Several Honors from J Day

Mitch Forbes, Eli Rourke and Timmy Ottomanelli pose with some of the awards they and the entire Prep News staff received at Journalism Day on March 27, 2024.

That’s award-winning Prep News to you, thank you very much!

Three members of the Prep News staff traveled to the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo. on Wednesday for Journalism Day. Seniors Mitch Forbes and Eli Rourke and freshman Timmy Ottomanelli represented their classmates and Rockhurst as a whole.

J Day, as it’s known is hosted by the Missouri Interscholastic Journalism Association. It’s a celebration of high school journalism and journalists from across the state. It includes a keynote speaker, on-site contests and more than two dozen sessions aimed at helping the budding journalists improve various skills or their respective publications.

The day also includes an awards ceremony. Entries were submitted in early February in various categories, and the winners were revealed Wednesday at J Day. Fourteen of the 17 entries submitted for Prep News received some sort of award.

Entries could receive one of the following honors: All-Missouri, Superior, Excellent or Honorable Mention. Entries receiving the All-Missouri designation ranked within the top 10% of all submissions in that category. Each subsequent designation represents the next 10% of entries, meaning those receiving Honorable Mention were deemed better than 60% of all submissions in that respective category.

Here is a list of the honors Prep News staffers received, along with a link to the story that won (winning photos are included in slideshow above):

All-Missouri:

Superior:

Excellent:

Honorable Mention:

Forbes also was named a member of the state Honor Roll for his work on Prep News over the past two years as well as his academic excellence overall.