Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

SGA Executive Elections Set New Officers for Next Year

The new SGA officers for the 2024-2025 school year: (L-R) Luke Kuechler, Sam Komenda and Bill Hayes

As we near the end of the school year, it is natural to start thinking ahead to next school year. One change that comes every year is the change in leadership of the Student Government Association (SGA). Rising seniors must step up each year into new executive positions, and the student body has decided who they want to represent and lead them next year. Luke Kuechler, Sam Komenda and Bill Hayes will serve as president, vice president and treasurer, respectively.

This year’s election split the candidates into three different campaigns. Jeb Koetting, Komenda and Auggie Johnson made up the “Bettin’ on Koetting” ticket. Kuechler and John Giocondo made up the “Think Rock” campaign. Bill Hayes ran independently.

With three different tiers of executive positions, each candidate had to compete with one other candidate for their spot. Running for president were Koetting and Kuechler. The vice president race pitted Komenda against Giocondo. Finally, treasurer was a contest between Hayes and Johnson.

This year’s election cycle was more visible and the races more hotly-contested than some other years. A main way candidates did this was with handouts before and during school.

Coming into school the mornings of election week, it was not uncommon to be handed something at the door. Some handouts were as simple as a “Dollar Bill” poster, advocating for Hayes as treasurer. Others went more aggressive, with “Bettin’ on Koetting” and “Think Rock” both handing out cookies or candy with their messages on them.

Many fliers were also hung throughout the school for each candidate and campaign. However, a big part of the election was fought on social media. “Think Rock” and “Bettin’ on Koetting” each had their own Instagram accounts, posting pictures and videos in hopes of earning votes.

Each campaign used guest appearances in their videos to try and sway votes their way. For “Think Rock,” they got a special video from former assistant dean Max Magee, and also a shoutout from Rockhurst’s beloved trainer, Paul McGannon. “Bettin’ on Koetting” had a variety of students advocating for their candidates, as well as a cameo from social media celebrity Roll Tide Willie.

The culmination of the campaigns came on April 10, with candidates giving their final speeches before Election Day. Each candidate followed a simple speech pattern, state their accomplishments and explain what they can do for the school. Giocondo was unable to come to speeches as he had a golf tournament, so his speech was a prerecorded video instead.

Election Day arrived on April 11 with a Google Form emailed to all students. Each vote from the Class of 2025 counted as two votes, while votes from the Classes of 2026 and 2027 counted as one.

This year’s vote count was the highest of all time, with 561 total votes. Two hundred twenty-two of those votes came from the class of 2025.

Hayes, considered a heavy underdog in his election due, at least in part, to his independence, was very proud of his win.

“I had so many people tell me I was gonna lose,” he said.

Hayes won his election, as he put it, “no cookies needed” — meaning he did not use bribery to sway votes in his direction. He says he believes one of his secrets to success was the memorable end to his speech the day before the election, which he closed out with a pun about change and a coin flip.

The other candidates, while maybe not considered underdogs, were still very proud of their wins.

“I was super excited to win, because I put a lot of hard work in with many activities throughout my time at Rockhurst,” Komenda said. “Receiving this was an amazing feeling.”

Komenda says he has big plans for Rockhurst next year, wanting to increase school spirit in every event that Rockhurst both hosts and participates in.

Kuechler too has ambitious ideas for next school year. He says he hopes to revive old traditions and improve current ones.

“I want to revive the old Rockfest 3-on-3 basketball tournament,” Kuechler said. “I have ideas to improve the Mission Week volleyball game. I intend to build the foundation for a new system that brings older and younger students together, as well as a stronger mental health program.”

While they know next year will come with lots of work and challenges, right now, the new officers can celebrate their respective victories.

“This is something that I’ve wanted to take on since freshman year,” said Kuechler. “There are changes I’m ready to help make.”