Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

It’s the Final(s) Countdown

The end of a semester often brings feelings of relief and joy for students–at least, that is, until they realize the only thing standing between them and a break is final exams.

At Rockhurst, finals are an important element of the semester. All core classes give them–English, math, science, social studies, modern and classical languages, and theology–though other classes have the option to do so. Many students dislike them, but they are seen as an important piece of the learning process by the school. 

“A final is a summative assessment of the content learned in a year,” Assistant Principal Mike Wickenhauser said. “It’s a data point, and teachers can use it to ask if they achieved the intended outcomes, and to what degree.”

Finals at Rockhurst are worth 20 percent of a semester grade, so they can have a big impact. But some students say finals mainly hurt your grade rather than boost it.

“One particular reason as to why I don’t like finals is because it is extremely hard to barely improve my grades with the tests, and if I don’t do well, it can lower my grades  a good amount,” senior Logan Flattery said.

The potential for a final changing a semester’s worth of effort causes anxiety in some students.

“Finals are stressful, because you can lose the hard work you put into a class, because of one test at the end of the semester,” Flattery said.

Another thing that adds to students’ stress is fatigue. During finals week, the preparation required to do well often prompts students to put in long hours studying.

“Another thing that makes finals difficult is the lack of sleep,” said Flattery. “It makes the days seem longer and the tests more agonizing.”

Which can, in turn, can affect how well they can focus while taking the test. That, of course, impacts how well they fare, too. For some students, that vicious cycle is a big part of the reason they dread finals week.

It prompts a question for some: Should Rockhurst still have finals? Administrators and teachers believe taking final exams is one way Rockhurst–as a college preparatory school–gets students ready for their next step in education. While understanding that, some students would like to see an adjustment made to the way the school conducts finals.

“I believe Rockhurst should have finals, but implement the policy of making them optional if you have an A,” Flattery said. “If you have an A it is hard to increase your grade with a final, and you have also shown you understand the course.”