Football ‘Springs’ Into Full-Team Workouts for First Time

Rule change allows entire team to practice this time of year, including those participating in spring sports.

Football Springs Into Full-Team Workouts for First Time

Mitch Forbes, Staff Reporter

Football workouts are starting earlier than ever at the Rock. The Hawklets are taking advantage of a Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) rule change that now allows all athletes to participate. The workouts have been taking place before school on B days.

MSHSAA actually started allowing spring football practices last year. However, they did not allow athletes who were currently participating in spring sports to attend them. According to Rockhurst head football coach Kelly Donohoe, the Hawklets did not hold training sessions last year because of the large number of athletes who would be ineligible due to their participation in spring sports. The recent rule change removed this caveat, which prompted the Hawklets to begin spring training sessions.

With many spring sports athletes already having attended these workouts, Donohoe recognizes that their current seasons should be their first priority.

“We are always going to be excited to get all of the kids out on the field, but we never want to take away from the fact that spring sports are most important right now,” he said.

MSHSAA rules state that teams are only allowed to practice for three hours per week. Teams are also restricted from practicing for more than 90 minutes per day and from wearing pads or helmets. Abiding to these regulations, the Hawklets have been practicing twice a week for an hour.

The workouts consist of a short period where players work with their position coach followed by drills that involve the whole team, such as running plays. Donohoe look at it as an opportunity to get a head start on the upcoming season.

“It’s going to be exciting to see the progress that we can make going into the summer,” he said. “We want to use this as a stepping stone to a really great fall.”

Donohoe believes the ability to work on fundamentals with players and teach them the playbook earlier will sharpen the Hawklets execution on Friday nights next season. He also looks forward to bringing the bond of the team closer together. This level of excitement is matched by the athletes attending the preseason practices.

“I look forward to anytime we can start playing football earlier,” junior defensive lineman Vince White said. “It’s also a chance to get more prepared for the season.”

White also wants to see improvement in the Hawklets’ mindset going forward.

“The biggest thing is competition,” he said. “We want to establish a culture where we all push each other to be better everyday.”

The workouts will continue to take place until the second week of May. Summer football will then officially start up for the Hawklets on June 1.