Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Lifetime Sports Builds Pin-credi-bowl Memories for Seniors

Rylan Nowak
A student follows through during a game of bowling at Ward Parkway Lanes on Oct. 31, 2022.

There are many things to look forward to about senior year. Usually, a student’s class schedule is not at the top of that list. However, one class seems to interest Hawklet students above all others: Lifetime Sports. This senior-exclusive class is not even located on the Greenlease Memorial campus. Instead, students head north on State Line Road to perfect their bowling skills at Ward Parkway Lanes.

Hawklets enrolled in Lifetime Sports bowl two games every class period. Each student’s score is recorded after every game they play. These scores are then used to calculate the bowler’s average. This average score is used to determine the seeding of the end-of-semester tournament. The winner of this highly anticipated tournament walks away with a custom plaque and, more importantly, bragging rights.

Ryan Fanning, who was one of three Hawklets who took the hardware home last semester, acknowledged the hard work that went into coming out on top.

“Winning the tourney was probably like a top three accomplishment in my life,” he said. “There were a lot of doubters who didn’t think I could get it done. What are they going to say now?”

For some, less experienced Hawklets, the class has simply given them a new hobby. Dom Yarbrough, who is enrolled in Lifetime Sports this semester, admits he has developed a bit of a bowling addiction.

“I’m not going to lie, I just took the class because I thought it would be easy, but I think I have uncovered a hidden talent. To put it simply, I’m dangerous on the lanes.”

Yarbrough, who has bought three bowling balls since he began his Lifetime Sports journey, has even started to work on his game outside of class.

“If I have any hope of winning this tournament at the end of the year, I’m going to have to put some extra work in,” he said. “It’s what you do in the dark that puts you in the light.”

Other Hawklets, like Austin Tholen, are enrolled in the class for different reasons. Tholen enjoys the opportunity to build camaraderie among his fellow classmates.

“Hitting the lanes up with the boys is just a great start to the morning,” he said. “It eases me into a good day with the rest of my classes.”

Head football coach Kelly Donohoe, who teaches Lifetime Sports, has high praise for the class.

“Lifetime Sports might be the greatest class in the United States,” Donohoe said. “Nowhere else do students get to experience the exhilaration of the bowling alley, along with all the other things we do.”

Next year’s seniors will not have to make a difficult decision in regards to Lifetime Sports that previous classes had to make. In prior years, Hawklets were only allowed to take one physical education elective per year. Since many student-athletes prefer to take weightlifting to avoid waking up early to lift before school, this left them with a predicament.

Assistant Principal of Academics Mike Wickenhauser recognizes that this was a difficult decision to make for many members of the Rockhurst community.

“[Student athletes] do not want to choose between Lifetime Sports, a course that has become a tradition for seniors, and Weightlifting, a course that gives them an opportunity to build strength and agility during the school day instead of before or after school.”

Because of this, Wickenhauser, along with members of the physical education department, is changing this policy. Starting next year, seniors will be allowed to take one P.E. elective each semester. This means they will be able to take Weightlifting during one semester and Lifetime Sports during the other.

Junior Jeb Koetting is in favor of the new policy.

“I’m glad I don’t have to sacrifice getting my lifts in during the school day to take Lifetime Sports,” he said. “This will make life easier for a lot of people.”

The class is sought after by students due to the unique experience it offers. For Caleb Truelove, who is enrolled in Lifetime Sports this semester, this experience has been unforgettable.

“It’s the best class at Rockhurst,” he said. “Nothing beats the fun times you have and the friendships you build.”