Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Hawklets Control Lines, Re-Take Bragging Rights from Rival Miege

Beating a rival is always a big deal, but topping a roughly 40-year rival in front of the most energetic and raucous crowd of the season might serve as the cherry on top. Rockhurst emerged victorious from a hard-fought battle with Bishop Miege on Sept. 23. The Hawklets were able to hold off the Stags 21-14.

Adding extra significance to an already important win was the fact that it came in the annual Braveheart game. Rockhurst students showed their brotherhood and support by wearing kilts and painting their bodies blue. The tradition dates back more than 15 years, and stems from the Oscar-winning 1995 movie of the same name.

“This game is so special to my teammates and I, because of how many kids show their support to the team,” said senior Mitch Forbes. “I would say there were around 600-700 students, including younger kids, that showed up.”

Rockhurst football’s rivalry with Miege began in the early 80s, but re-ignited about five years ago.

“The atmosphere and energy this game presents is unlike any other game of the season,” said senior Jackson Sifers.

The environment of the student section seemed to translate to the field to start the game, as both sides of the ball came out with energy.

Senior wide receiver Maeson Tunley hauled in a 30-yard pass from Ethan Hansen for a touchdown in the first quarter. Hansen, a Miege transfer, relished this opportunity to show the Stags how much he has developed over the course of his Rockhurst career.

“It obviously is a lot of pressure, but pressure is a privilege, and playing against a rival makes the game more competitive and enjoyable,” said Hansen. “We treat every week with intention, but when it’s Miege Week, it’s a little different, because they are a crosstown rival, so I would say everyone is just a little more focused and intentional in practice.”

Thomas Coppinger, a senior two-way player who contributed 7 carries for 45 yards and a rushing touchdown, says last year’s 28-21 loss gave the team a boost of determination and grit to make the end results different this season.

“It’s definitely a motivating factor throughout the offseason. We saw what they were about this summer at our team camp. It was a statement game to show we are a new team this year,” said Coppinger.

Throughout the game, Rockhurst dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball—allowing them to rush the ball effectively and make crucial plays in the Miege backfield.

Aidan Ryan, another former Miege player, who rushed for 145 yards on 26 carries in the game, set up the final touchdown with a 36-yard run. Ryan’s strong game is just the latest in a string of them this season. He says his key is mental and physical preparation, which, for him, starts days before games.

“Mentally I prepare myself by getting 8 or more hours of sleep a night, reading before bed, and writing my thoughts down to mentally prepare my body,” he said. “Additionally, I enjoy listening to the ‘Pivot podcast.’ Physically, I ride the bike constantly to keep my knees loose and usually get in the ice bath on Monday and Thursday.”

The senior running back’s work paid off against his former team, making it even sweeter.

“Playing against my old high school is not only special but a privilege for myself and my teammates,” Ryan said. “Going from a completely different situation and seeing how things are run differently on both sides, and how both teams feel about each other is something indescribable. The feeling of being able to come out on top against your former team really makes the decision of coming to Rockhurst worthwhile.”

The Rockhurst Hawklets will attempt to defend Dasta Memorial Stadium against St. Louis University High School this upcoming Friday night. The Hawklets are off to a 6-1 start for the first time since the 2018.