Rockhurst Repels Blue Springs

The win was the second in a row for the Hawklets, and marked the first time all season the team won consecutive games.

Junior offensive lineman Andrew Sprague lifts junior running back Aidan Ryan in celebration after Ryan scored a touchdown during Rockhurst’s game against Blue Springs on Oct. 7, 2022. Ryan scored two touchdowns and gained 120 yards on 21 carries.

Mitch Forbes, Staff Reporter

The Rockhurst Hawklets triumphed over the Blue Springs Wildcats on the gridiron Friday night, holding off a late push from their long-time rival to win 35-21. Both Rockhurst and Blue Springs entered the game with season records of 2-4 prior to their meeting on Severino Field.

The boys played in front of a packed house at Dasta Memorial Stadium as it was Rockhurst’s annual “Braveheart” game, historically one of the highest attended games of the season. 

The Wildcats received the first half kickoff looking to take an early lead. The Hawklets had other ideas, however. The Wildcats’ first drive came to a halt after a third down interception by junior defensive back Micah Oder.

“We had great coverage in the secondary,” said Oder, who would record a second interception in the third quarter. “I was just in the right place at the right time to make a play on the ball.” 

Junior quarterback Ethan Hansen marched the Hawklets down the field on the ensuing drive and capped it off with a seven yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Myles Carson. The 6’3” receiver made a contested catch over the Wildcat corner to put the Hawklets up 6-0.

“It was exhilarating to hear the crowd,” Carson said about his catch. “I couldn’t have done it without my quarterback and our line.”

Rockhurst received the ball again off of a Wildcat turnover on downs and put together a methodical 11-play touchdown drive. Junior Aidan Ryan dove into the end zone from two yards out to put the Hawklets up by two scores. 

The Hawklets took the 14-0 lead into the intermission. Head coach Kelly Donohoe was pleased with his team’s early lead.

“It’s always big to get off to that start,” Donohoe said. “The confidence of your guys is huge early in the game.”

Rockhurst received the ball to begin the third quarter and quickly put more points on the board. It only took the Hawklets three plays to take a 21-0 lead.

The Wildcats were able to answer this score with one of their own, though, completing a 25-yard touchdown pass to make it 21-7. Blue Springs got aggressive and elected to go for the onside kick on the ensuing kickoff. They successfully recovered the onside and scored another touchdown, cutting the Hawklets’ lead to seven points.

But Rockhurst responded with another imposing drive, as Ryan found the end zone for his second score of the night.

“We closed the door on them,” said Ryan. “They thought they could come back at the end of the third quarter and into the fourth, but we really shut it down.”

The Wildcats would counter with an additional touchdown to come within seven with three minutes left in the game. But Hansen put the nail in the coffin on the Hawklets’ next drive as he scored on a 28-yard quarterback draw on a critical third down play. The rushing touchdown added to Hansen’s impressive numbers on the evening, as he also had a big night throwing the ball. He completed 14 out of 18 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns. 

Ryan also played a key role, carrying the ball 21 times for 120 yards and two scores. The victory was a rewarding outcome for the first-year starter.

“Getting the win meant that a week’s preparation was worth it,” Ryan said. “Me and all my teammates really stepped up.”

The win gave the Hawklets a two-game winning streak, the first time they won consecutive games all season, and improves their record to 3-4. They will look to keep it going next week as they travel to St. Louis to take on St. Louis University High School.