Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Freshmen Elect Class Officers

The Class of 2027 now has representatives in Rockhurst student government. As second quarter got going, the students chose Tristan Batobalani as president and Tyson Nguyen vice president.

Both were pleased to learn of their elections to their respective positions.

“I am really surprised, and I am really happy,” said Batobalani.

“It’s a really great honor to be vice president,” said Nguyen.

Batobalani’s victory, in particular, caught him off guard, because he felt like he was going up against some “really, really popular people.” He said he thinks persistence played a role in his win as he just continued campaigning and asking people for their vote.

SGA moderator Sarah Dunn says both Batobalani and Nguyen left good impressions.

“They were really good communicators…they were really eager and excited.”

Neither Batobalani nor Nguyen say they have big plans to try to change anything. Batobalani says he wants to “put into unity and community” and improve the experience of the average Rockhurst student. Nguyen is looking to grow his leadership skills, be more involved and get to know more people.

Familiarity is a big reason the election for freshman officers and SGA representatives didn’t take place until after first quarter. The other three classes at Rockhurst elected their representatives last school year.

“We want to make sure that the freshman class have a chance to get to know each other a little bit,” said Dunn.

As for Batobalani and Nguyen, both say they’ve appreciated their time here at Rockhurst thus far.

“My experience has actually been amazing…I really love going here,” said Batobalani. “I made amazing friends. A lot of them are really, really humble and really good.”

“It’s been a challenge that’s worth taking,” said Nguyen. “I am really enjoying it.”