Backstory Behind Rockhurst’s “Athlete of the Week”

Hayden Spachman’s Week Three Athlete of the Week Social Media Post

Tate Slaymaker, Staff Reporter

Each week, Rockhurst’s social medias highlight the accomplishments of Hawklet student-athletes. It’s something the athletic department started last school year as a way to “help highlight our student-athletes for their achievements on the field, court, course, mat, ice, track and in the pool” says Robbie Haden, Rockhurst’s Director of Communications and Branding.

There are no specific criteria for students to win.

“An individual standout performance is typically the key factor in determining a winner, but we also look for coaches’ input on leadership, effort and overall achievements during an athlete’s season,” Haden said.

Based on those submissions, which are entered every Sunday, the athletic department selects one winner. The posts to recognize the winning student goes up on Rockhurst’s Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages every Monday. In addition to honoring student-athletes, these social media posts also benefit the athletics program as a whole, because they’re sponsored.

“[The sponsors stem] from the Rockhurst Athletic partnerships with the annual All-Sports Program, which is produced each summer,” Haden said. “Based on a company’s level, it can be a week-long social media sponsor, during which the company is included on all Schedule, Gameday, and Athlete of the Week graphics on our social media pages. Proceeds from the All-Sports Program sponsorships help our Athletic Department continue to provide competitive, social, and formative opportunities to our student-athletes.”

Students can win the honor once or multiple times. For instance, basketball senior Hayden Spachman won it during both weeks three and nine of the winter sports season. For week three, Spachman won the honor after averaging 16.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 4 assists in the Rockhurst’s two games the previous week. For week nine, Spachman won for putting up 11 points against Pembroke Hill and a career-high 22 against Lafayette.

“It’s a great feeling to be recognized as Athlete of the Week–especially due to the recognition from my peers,” Spachman said, “and, in general, just being recognized for your success is something everyone enjoys.”

During week 12, junior Brady Maher received the honor after he recorded 10 points, three rebounds and three assists against Bishop Miege, then dropped 17 points in the final home game of the season, a blowout win over Lincoln Prep. For Maher, though, the honor didn’t serve as a culmination as much as motivation.

“In the future, I will continue to work hard and grow as a player and a teammate by continuing to hold my teammates accountable,” Maher said.