Wemhoff Accomplishes “Dream”, Commits to Jayhawks

Mitch Forbes, Staff Reporter

“It’s really just a dream come true.”

Colton Wemhoff, a senior at Rockhurst, decided to further his baseball career at the University of Kansas, accomplishing a long-time goal of his.

Earning a scholarship from a school like Kansas is an uncommon achievement. According to Rockhurst coaches, only a handful of athletes receive scholarships to play Division I sports every year. 

Wemhoff signed to play for the Jayhawks on Nov. 7. This comes after he committed to the team in October of 2021.

Wemhoff has been playing baseball ever since he was five years old. Since then, it has always been an aspiration of his to lace up his cleats at the collegiate level. The all-state center fielder is looking forward to playing for the team he grew up rooting for.

“I’m super excited to get to play close to home,” Wemhoff said. “I’ve always wanted to be a Jayhawk.”

He chose the University of Kansas over several other schools that showed interest in him. There were multiple factors that went into his decision.

“I really like the coaching staff that they have at Kansas,” Wemhoff said. “I also know a couple of guys from my club team that play there, so that should make it a smooth transition.”

Rockhurst’s head baseball coach, Jim DeGraw, is not surprised that Wemhoff has been given the opportunity to play at Kansas.

“I believe that Colton will be a great asset to the Kansas baseball program,” DeGraw said. “[Wemhoff] can hit for power and has great speed on the bases.”

DeGraw also notes that Wemhoff’s strong arm, size, and athleticism are all attributes that make him a versatile player.

Wemhoff recognizes that succeeding at the next level will require a great deal of commitment. Division I student athletes often have tightly-packed schedules that can seem intimidating to most people. Despite the heavy workload, however, Wemhoff is not deterred.

“I actually look forward to the busy schedule,” he said. “I just look at it as an opportunity to become more productive as both a student and as an athlete.”

Although Wemhoff is grateful for the opportunity to play at the next level, his focus is currently on his last dance at Rockhurst. Wemhoff is coming off of a year in which he put up impressive numbers at the plate, batting over .300 from his cleanup spot while posting  a .444 on-base percentage. However, Wemhoff expects more from himself. He plans to improve off of his junior season.

“I don’t even feel like I had that good of a year last year,” Wemhoff said. “Hopefully I can play better this year to balance it out.”

The Hawklets finished last season with a record of 13-19. They managed to win two district playoff games before their season ended at the hands of the Belton Pirates. With many returning starters, they will look to build off of last year in the 2023 season.

“I’m looking forward to helping the team succeed this year,” Wemhoff said. “If we all stay focused, the sky’s the limit for us.”

Wemhoff recognizes that the upcoming season is his last opportunity to wear a Rockhurst uniform. He plans on ending his high school career on a high note.

“I just have to leave it all out there,” Wemhoff said. “If I do that, then I’ll have no regrets at the end of the day.”