Back for More on the Mat

Rich Wikiera returned this year to coach wrestling after previously retiring from the position.

Ted Truebner, Staff Reporter

Three years after retiring, Rich Wikiera is back working as a wrestling coach at Rockhurst.

In 2019, Wikiera retired after 38 years at Rockhurst. Before he came back, he coached some soccer, football, and baseball, along with wrestling. He also taught human physiology and environmental sciences. Now he is back strictly as a wrestling coach, but once an educator, always an educator.

“I’m always a teacher first,” said Wikiera.

After he first left, he says he spent some time trying to get used to the retired life, and realized it wasn’t for him. Wikiera started a small business making cutting boards and charcuteries. Then, an assistant wrestling coach position at Bishop Miege opened up, and he jumped at the opportunity. He remained there until he came back to Rockhurst. The reason he returned to the Rock is simple: He was offered the position.

His time away didn’t change his biggest expectation: to learn. Wikiera likes to stress the basics and strengthen the fundamentals of wrestling. He also sets different objectives than some other coaches.

“Don’t be afraid to fail, take chances, and not to worry about making mistakes,” he said, adding that he believes the only way to improve is by growing from the mistakes.

“He is definitely very motivational,” said sophomore Anthony Totta. “He knows how to push kids without hurting their feelings and degrading them. He understands that kids have different styles of wrestling and he’s gonna push us to our best abilities.”

In the relatively short time Wikiera has been here, he has made a noticeable impact. The practices are longer, and lifting weights is now included as part of the practices. More coaches are on staff than previous years. Also, more freshmen went out for wrestling than they had in the past ten years. That led to the team participating in freshman tournaments, which they didn’t last year.

“Wikiera focuses on building fundamentals and helping the younger wrestlers. He knows he needs to create the foundation for all these other wrestlers,” said junior Bobby Clemons. 

Rockhurst opened the season by dropping their first two duels against Raytown and Lee Summit West. However, they won the majority of their individual matches. The team losses came primarily as a result of weight classes that are not filled.