Prep News

The Student News Site of Rockhurst High School

Prep News

Prep News

Alum of the Year Emphasizes Impact of Time at Rockhurst: “I Learned How to Get Up”

The annual Rockhurst Homecoming Mass, at which the Alumnus of the Year is recognized, was a little different this year: the alum being honored also delivered the homily. Dr. Kevin Cummings, from the class of 1973, is also a deacon in the Catholic Church.

At the Mass on Sept. 26, Cummings talked about the path that brought him to Rockhurst and how valuable his time here turned out to be.

At Rockhurst, Cummings said he learned things that he did not gain anywhere else in his life. He says he was taught how to learn, something current students have said they have experienced here as well.

“Transferring into Rockhurst was difficult, but definitely worthwhile,” senior Phillip Nunnink said. “The school sets a high standard and holds students to it.”

Cummings talked about how he didn’t appreciate Rockhurst when he first came to the school. He believed that it was “not cracked up to what it was supposed to be.” But he learned over time just how valuable his experiences were.

“When I was here, I fell a lot…and I learned how to get up,” Cummings said. “I learned you didn’t have to stay down.”

The most important things he took away didn’t come from a textbook.

“The words I learned at Rockhurst were put into my heart to make me realize God loves me more than anything.”

Cummings talked about how Rockhurst doesn’t allow people to go under the radar; rather, it pushes students out of their comfort zone. He said the people of Rockhurst will never give up on students, because God never would either.

“Inside, just like God, they know every one of you is capable of doing it.”

It’s just one of the benefits students can take away from their time at Rockhurst.

“I have learned the importance of holding myself to a high level, and also how to use the gifts I have received from here,” Nunnink said.

“Rockhurst has taught me the value of challenging myself, which has helped me grow academically and personally,” sophomore Quinn Condon said.

Cummings also talked about how you can continue to grow throughout your life. His story is a case in point. Cummings retired as a practicing dentist at age 55, but says God told him “You ain’t done yet.” He says he felt called to the religious life, so he went through the process of becoming a deacon, culminating with his ordination in 2011.

Cummings is the 22nd recipient of the Alumnus of the Year award.