Rockhurst Students Enjoy Attending NFL Draft Close to Home

Mitch Forbes, Staff Reporter

Kansas City was on the clock as the city hosted the NFL Draft for the first time in its history from April 27-29. The draft contained a record-breaking amount of trades, but Rockhurst students who attended the draft would not deal away the experience. The three-day event was held at Union Station, near the World War I Museum. More 300,000 people attended the event over the course of its running.

President and CEO of the Kansas City Sports Commission, Kathy Nelson, told The Kansas City Star that the draft “certainly exceeded our expectations.”

Several Hawklet students made sure to attend this rare event. Junior Maeson Tunley made his way to Union Station on Thursday, April 27, the first day, to see the draft. Tunley thought that the city did a great job of organizing the draft.

“The atmosphere was electric,” Tunley said. “I didn’t realize how much of a big-deal it is. It seemed like the whole city was there.”

Tunley was grateful to view the draft in-person, as opposed to watching it on TV.

“It felt like going to a big rivalry game. After each pick, the crowd reacted like their team scored a touchdown. You don’t really get that same feeling watching it from home.”

Junior Dom Yarbrough enjoyed the NFL Draft Experience, which gave spectators the opportunity to participate in football specific drills while the draft was being held.

“I liked running the 40-yard dash the most,” Yarbrough said. “I was moving.”

Yarbrough was impressed with the city’s ability to put on an event of this magnitude.

“I think it made me appreciate Kansas City more,” he said. “Most people don’t think of this city as one that could put all of this together, but I think we all really stepped up.”

The highlight of Yarbrough’s night came when the Chiefs selected Felix Anudike-Uzomah, a defensive end from Kansas State University, with the 31st pick of the first round. Anudike-Uzomah, who used to attend Yarbrough’s church, went to Lee’s Summit High School.

“It was cool to see him get drafted by his hometown team,” Yarbrough said. “It’s crazy that everything lined up for him. It’s wild that I used to go to church with him, and now he’s a first-round pick.”

Yarbrough recognizes that the opportunity to attend the NFL draft does not come around often.

“I had to go, because this might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” he said. “Kansas City might never host the draft again, but if they do, I’ll probably pull up.”

According to Forbes, the draft is estimated to have brought in over $100 million for the local economy. Kansas City is now one of 12 cities to have hosted the event. The city now hands off the privilege of hosting the draft to Detroit. The 2024 version will run take place April 25-27.